Saturday, April 30, 2016

Holland, Paris, and Heading Out


My introduction to Europe through Holland has been a cold and hail-filled one. I've had a week of adjusting to the windy Netherlands while visiting my friend Laura and her family. I also spent a few days in Amsterdam (pictured above) and a small town called Ermelo, with some Dutch relatives, Gera and Peter. I met their five sons, had tea with some of my Opa's siblings, and we took a canal tour in the town of Utrecht.




King's day, a Dutch holiday where many people wear orange, was a quick, rainy visit with Laura, her husband Nick, and their baby Katelyn, to the center of Rotterdam; there long enough to see the flea market (where anyone can set up a table and sell things) and get some street food.


On my last day in Holland, Laura, Katelyn, and I visited Gouda, which had a windmill you could climb to the top of, as well as delicious bread and chesse.

 

I spent the last few days in Paris (pictures below) walking around the entire city and seeing all the sights, as well as eating more bread and cheese. Next I am headed to Taize, a monastic community in eastern France, for a week before heading out to start the Camino trail.

http://www.taize.fr/en

In an effort to keep the weight down, I left my tablet behind, so I will write again when I can!

Sacred heart

Chocolate shop

Notre-Dame

These are all locks!

The Louvre

Arc de Triomphe
 
Moulin Rouge

Eiffel Tower

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool Jamila. Thanks for posting the pics. Was the language barrier a problem when talking to Opa's relatives? Was Paris fun this time of year? Most places come to life in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ketchups!!! What can I say,France is just so rich with history and culture. Really cool you have met so many amazing people,may your journey bring many more adventures! I hope the Camino is all you dreamed of. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete